Do you know what to do before a winter storm hits? Many people don't, and that can lead to disaster. In this blog post, we will provide a complete guide on how to prepare for a winter storm. We will cover everything from what supplies you need to buy to how to use snow guards. When it comes to winter storms, preparation is crucial!
Why Is Winter Storm Preparedness Crucial?
Winter storms can have a major impact on people and communities. They can cause power outages, disrupt transportation, and damage homes and businesses. Winter storms also pose a serious threat to public safety. Every year, hundreds of people are killed or injured by winter weather. That's why it's so important to be prepared before a storm hits.
What Supplies Do You Need for Winter Storm Preparation?
There are a few key supplies that you'll need in order to prepare for a winter storm. These include:
- Rock salt or de-icer: This will help you keep your sidewalks and driveways clear of ice.
- Snow shovels: You'll need these to clear snow from your property.
- Snow blowers: These can be helpful if you have a lot of snow to remove.
- Flashlights, batteries, and candles: Power outages are common during winter storms. Be sure to have plenty of flashlights on hand, as well as extra batteries and candles.
- Lots of blankets and warm clothes: Power outages also mean your central heating system is down. Make sure you can keep warm.
- First aid kit: This is always a good idea to have on hand, in case anyone gets injured during the storm.
- Non-perishable food and water: It's a good idea to have enough food and water to last for several days in case you lose power or are unable to leave your home.
Prepare For Avalanches
Avalanches can happen during winter storms, especially in areas that receive a lot of snowfall. If you live in or near an avalanche-prone area, there are a few things you can do to prepare:
- Get trained: Take a course on avalanche safety so that you know what to do if one occurs.
- Check the forecast: Before heading out into the back country, be sure to check the avalanche forecast so that you can avoid areas where avalanches are likely to occur.
- Carry equipment: If you're going to be in an area where avalanches are possible, make sure to carry proper equipment, including an avalanche transceiver, shovel, and probe.
How To Prevent Avalanches From Snow Buildup On Your Roof
If you live in an area that gets a lot of snowfall, it's important to take steps to prevent avalanches from happening off your roof. One way to do this is to install snow guards on the roof of your home or business. Snow guards are small pieces of equipment that are attached to the roof. They help to keep snow from sliding off the roof and onto the ground below in large chunks.
How Do Snow Guards Work?
Snow guards work by catching and holding onto the snow as it slides down the roof. They are typically made of metal or plastic and are attached to the roof with screws, nails or adhesive substances. Many snow guards also have spikes that help to grip the snow.
Snow guards allow the snow to fall off of your roof in smaller chunks as it melts. This prevents serious injuries and damage to your property caused by falling snow.
When Should You Install Snow Guards?
The best time to install snow guards is in spring and summer. This will ensure that they are in place and can do their job before any snow accumulates on your roof. It's also important to note that adhesion will not cure in very cold weather. This makes your snow guards useless if installed too late.
What Are The Different Types Of Snow Guards?
There are several different types of snow guards available on the market. Some common types include:
- Polycarbonate snow guards
These are made from a strong, shatter-resistant material. They are available in a variety of colors to match your roof.
- Metal snow guards
These are lightweight and corrosion-resistant. They are available in a variety of colors to match your roof.
Snow bars are made of metal or plastic and are attached to the roof with screws or nails. They help to prevent large chunks of snow from sliding off the roof.
Snow fences are installed around the perimeter of your roof. They help to keep snow from accumulating on your roof and prevent it from sliding off.
No matter what type of snow guard you choose, be sure to install them according to the manufacturer's instructions. This will ensure that they are effective and can withstand the weight of the snow.
Preparing for winter storms can help to keep you and your family safe. By taking the time to do things like stocking up on supplies, getting training in avalanche safety, and installing snow guards, you can be sure that you're prepared for whatever the winter may bring.
Do you have more tips to add to this guide? Let us know in the comments below.